Ashes on a balcony blamed for Monday garden apartment fire

Herndon fire

Fireplace ashes, left on a balcony next to combustibles, are listed as the cause of a two-alarm garden apartment fire in Herndon early Monday morning.

The first Fire units to arrive saw fire on a third floor balcony.  They used hoses from the ground to extinguish most of the flames but the blaze had extended into the attack.  Moving a hose up a stairwell allowed them to douse that.

The fire did $40,000 damage to the building in the 2500 block of Farmcrest Drive.  Two people were displaced and one was hurt.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.