All Fairfax County public schools will close two hours early on Wednesday.
The early closing is designed to allow school buses to avoid the increased Thanksgiving holiday traffic. The schools have been doing this for the past few years.
According to a county school statement:
- Schedules for Head Start, preschool, alternative learning centers (ALC), and intervention support programs (ISP) will be modified individually and coordinated between transportation and program staff members.
- All other classes will be dismissed two hours earlier than the regular Monday through Friday closing schedule.
- Limited preapproved school activities are allowed, but regular late buses are canceled.
- The Office of Transportation Services will contact specific schools as necessary to schedule exact pickup times for students. Questions should be addressed to your school’s supervisor.
- Afternoon career and technical education and academy courses will be canceled for all students who are transported to high school academies, specialized programs, or nonschool-based locations.
- Recreation programs will proceed as scheduled.
- School Age Child Care (SACC) programs will be available for students until 6:15 p.m. or until the last child is picked up.