Fairfax City woman dies in house fire

An 87-year-old Fairfax City woman died late Saturday night in a townhouse fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to a townhouse in the Comstock neighborhood for a report of a citizen performing CPR. Arriving units found that the victim, an 87-year-old female, had been exposed to smoke and that an upstairs bedroom was on fire.  The fire victim and her son were evacuated from the house and resuscitation efforts continued.

The fire was confined to the upstairs bedroom and was extinguished before affecting other townhouse units. The victim was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital; efforts to revive her were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.  The fire was caused by the use of incense in the bedroom.  No working smoke detectors were found in the home.

 

Comments

About the Author

Truman Lewis
A former reporter and bureau chief, Truman Lewis has covered presidential campaigns, state politics and stories ranging from organized crime to environmental and consumer protection.