With Metro’s new Silver Line expected to open late this summer, commuters need to update themselves on the bus routes that will connect to the new stations. Metro has been working for three years to develop a Silver Line bus plan that connects Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Prince William County and other local communities with the new Silver Line.
All Silver Line stations will have bus service, provided by four different carriers:
- Metrobus, which will provide bus service to and from the Silver Lineâ€™s new McLean and Tysons Corner stations
- Fairfax Connector, which provides the bulk of the bus service in the Silver Line area and will connect riders to all five new Silver Line stations
- PRTC, which will provide service to the new Tysons Corner station
- Loudon County Transit, which will provide service to the Silver Lineâ€™s new Spring Hill and Wiehle-Reston East stations
Each bus carrier has developed new routes, made changes to existing routes, and eliminated other service that, when taken together, will provide a vastly expanded bus network in the region.
Many Fairfax Connector bus routes that currently go to the Orange Lineâ€™s West Falls Church station will be rerouted to the Silver Line. As many as 9,000 riders who take Fairfax Connector buses to the Orange Line are expected to start using the new Silver Line service.
For Metrobus, most of the Silver Line bus changes went into effect earlier this year. All of the new bus signage is in place and the bus routes have been allocated Nextbus IDs so that riders can track the location of their buses using Metro’s online and mobile tools. After the Silver Line passenger service begins, Metro will continue to evaluate the ridership to determine if any additional Metrobus service or route changes are needed.
Another critical role that buses play in the Silver Line is providing the connection for riders to Dulles Airport until the completion of the Silver Line extension. There will be three bus options for customers to get to Dulles Airport when the Silver Line opens this summer:
- Metrobus Route 5A will continue to provide service from Lâ€™Enfant Plaza station to Dulles Airport, with stops at Rosslyn Metrorail station and the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride Lot in Fairfax County. For schedule and fares, visit wmata.com/bus.
- Fairfax Connector Routes 981 and 983 will both provide service from Wiehle-Reston East station to Dulles, with stops at Reston Town Center and the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride Lot. Route 983 will have an additional stop at the Udvar-Hazy Center, so customers can connect from the Silver Line to the National Air and Space Museumâ€™s annex at Dulles Airport. For schedule and fares, visit fairfaxconnector.com.
- Washington Flyerâ€™s Silver Line Express from Wiehle-Reston East station directly to Dulles Airport. For schedule and fares, visit washfly.com.
Customers can find more information about the bus routes that service each of the new Silver Line stations online at silverlinemetro.com and additional bus service information can be found on wmata.com and the websites for each of the other local providers.