Man rescued from burning home in Burke

candleFairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at approximately 4:05 a.m., in the Burke area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located at 9709 Church Way

Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the garage, rear, and second floor of the two-story home upon arrival. Enroute to the fire, firefighters received several reports of a trapped person on the second floor of the home. Firefighters conducted a primary search and found an adult male in a second floor bedroom and rescued him by ground ladder.

The fire was brought under control in approximately 40 minutes. The origin of the fire was a room on the first floor to the rear of the garage. Paramedics treated and then transported the adult male to INOVA Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The occupant has been displaced.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle on the first floor caused the fire.

 

Comments

About the Author

Truman Lewis
A former reporter and bureau chief, Truman Lewis has covered presidential campaigns, state politics and stories ranging from organized crime to environmental and consumer protection.