It’s a new year and that means a whole lot of fun things to do this weekend at your Fairfax County Parks.
- A Long Winter’s Nap: Learn all about hibernators during the next Ponderings – Winter Session. Discover the wildlife that lives in our region and the various habitats that support them. Live animals and field studies are the reason this program is so popular. Come and join our naturalist for the next adventure! 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Hidden Pond Nature Center. $8/person ($6/county residents). Register online. For information call 703-451-9588.
- Life is a Cabaret: Kick off 2013 in style with a fun and spirited evening of music selected to inspire at the Cabaret Series at the Workhouse: Songs for the New Year! Talented performers will entertain with selected pieces by Cole Porter, the Gershwin brothers and more. Cash bar available. 8 to 10 p.m. (Doors open at 7:30 p.m.) Workhouse Arts Center. $25/person (includes complimentary hors d’oeuvres.) Tickets available online. For information call 703-584-2900.
- Geology Rocks! We use rocks and minerals every day; we even use them to brush our teeth! Discover fun facts about rocks, local earthquakes and the rock cycle, and handle real fossils. Stroll through the park to see erosion and bedrock. For children ages 6 to 12. 2 to 3:30 p.m. Hidden Oaks Nature Center. $8/person ($6/county residents). Register online. For information call 703-941-1065.
- Tippity Tappity: Enjoy an amazing afternoon of tap dance and song in a unique cabaret setting. The Metropolitan Youth Tap Ensemble’s Tap Jammin’ Cabaret features Capital Tap, Soles of Steel, Maud Arnold and Jason Holley, along with rising star vocalists Gabi Stapula and Brianna Latrash with Abbey Smith on keyboard. Cash bar, soft drinks and hors d’oeuvres plates available for purchase. 4 p.m. Workhouse Arts Center. $15/person. For information call 703-584-2900.
- Bluegrass Concert: The members of the Town Mountain Band share an easy-going, friendly bond that translates to their music. 7 p.m. (Doors open at 6 p.m.) Frying Pan Farm Park visitor center. $12/person in advance; $15/person at the door. Tickets available online or call 703-222-4664. For information call 703-437-9101.
- Music Friends’ Concerts at the Alden: This classical music series, now in its 38th season, began in 1974 when the Music Friends of the Fairfax County Public Library bought a Steinway concert grand and began to hold recitals in local library branches. This concert is a Young Soloists Recital, featuring flute, cello, piano and violin, showcasing the talents of local school-age artists and giving them experience in auditioning and performing. 3 p.m. McLean Community Center’s Alden Theatre. Free. For information call 703-790-0123.
Information was correct at time of publication. Please contact individual event sites to confirm programs are being held as scheduled.