Christmas is just around the corner. And now that you’ve finished all your busywork, it’s time for some weekend fun at your Fairfax County Parks
- Just for Laughs: Holidays got you down? Laughter is the best medicine. Cool Cow Comedy presents Erin Jackson, whose warm, conversational style and relatable humor have helped to propel her onto the national stage. Jackson has appeared on “Ellen,” Comedy Central and at the Gotham Comedy Club, and was a was a semifinalist on season 6 of “Last Comic Standing.” Joining her is Jon Mumma, who has appeared at the DC Improv and on SiriusXM. Ages 18 and above are welcome. Advance ticket reservations are recommended. 8 p.m. (Also on Dec. 22.) Doors open for seating 30 minutes prior. Lorton Workhouse Arts Center. $20/person. For more information call 703-584-2900.
- Holiday Lights: Whether your prefer to take in the holiday lights on foot or from behind the wheel, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority has you covered. At the Bull Run Festival of Lights drive through an enchanted world of giant toy soldiers, snowmen, Santa and his reindeer and so much more. Over 130,000 people visit the festival every year. End your trip with a visit to the Holiday Village, featuring games, rides, food and gift vendors. 5:30 to 10 p.m. (Also Saturday and Sunday. 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Through Jan. 6.) Bull Run Regional Park. $20/car, $30/van (15-34 people). Discounted weekday rates. For more information call 703-359-4633.
- Prefer your holiday lights al fresco? Head over to Meadowlark Botanical Gardens for its Winter Walk of Lights. Imagine the beauty of Meadowlark’s renowned gardens transformed into a winter wonderland, including a flowing stream of softly glowing lights. On the .6-mile walking path marvel at the two-story animated fountain, stroll past the Gingerbread Village and explore the beauty of nature like you’ve never seen it. 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:15 p.m. (through Jan. 6). Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. $13/adults, $8/children ages 8 to 12. Discounted weekday rates. Tickets available online. For more information call 703-255-3631.
- A Little Bird Told Me: Start a lifelong hobby watching backyard birds, with Celebrate Urban Birds. Learn how to identify common species and attract songbirds to your yard. Handouts will help you continue bird watching at home and in making your yard or balcony a wildlife habitat. Children must be accompanied by a registered adult. 2 to 3:15 p.m. Hidden Oaks Nature Center. $6/person. Register online. For information call 703-941-1065.
- Winter Walk Presents Cookie Decorating: Stop by the Meadowlark atrium to take part in cookie decorating and reindeer food-making. Each participant will receive a bag of sugar cookies to decorate, with decorating materials to help you get creative. There will also be ingredients to make reindeer food. 5 to 9 p.m. Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. $10/child. For information call 703-255-3631.
- Pigs at the Pole: Enjoy a fun puppet show by the Blue Sky Puppet Theatre Register online for this light-hearted program for the whole family. 11 to 11:50 a.m. George Mason Library. Free. For information call 703-256-3800.
- All Aboard! Watch G-gauge trains wend their way through a miniature western town in the Holiday Model Train Display 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Colvin Run Mill Historic Site. Free. For information call 703-759-2771.
Information was correct at time of publication. Please contact individual event sites to confirm programs are being held as scheduled.
Weekend in the Parks will be on hiatus next week. Look for a new edition on Friday, Jan. 4.