A survey finds Dulles the nation’s second-most-expensive major international airport, second only to Houston’s George Bush International Airport, which ranked as the most expensive airport to use in 2012 with an average domestic round-trip fare coming in at $517.50. Dulles International was a close second with an average round-trip fare of $504.20. Newarkâ€™s Liberty International came in third at $480.30 for a domestic fare.
The travel site Lets Fly Cheaper says there are several possible reasons for the relatively higher fares at the three airports.
â€œThe top three on the list are all United Airlines hubs, so the expense can be caused by the rise in fuel cost during 2012 in addition to that airports landing fees and other operational costâ€ said Lets Fly Cheaper CEO Ramon vanMeer.
Las Vegasâ€™ McCarran International Airport ranked number twenty with an average domestic round trip fare costing $281.10, which is well below the national average. â€œ This is a good thing for McCarran. They are a hub for a few low cost carriers such as Southwest Airlines and Allegiant. We anticipate McCarran will likely rank among the cheapest airports to fly in and out of in 2013 with the addition of Spirit Airlines, which recently made Vegas one of their newest hub airportsâ€ says vanMeer. Spirit Airlines is among the cheapest U.S carriers and continues to increase their destination routes in and out of McCarran.
The airports were ranked on the cost of a domestic, round trip air fare against the national average U.S domestic fare cost of $384.81 during the second quarter of 2012. Lets Fly Cheaper used data directly from the Bureau of Transportation Statics.
Below is the complete list based on the national domestic round trip average of $384.81
- Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport – $517.50
- Washington Dulles International Airport – $504.20
- Newark Liberty International Airport – $480.30
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport – $449.40
- San Francisco International Airport – $425.70
- Los Angeles International Airport – $418.00
- Philadelphia International Airport â€“ $412.50
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport KCLT – $410.00
- New York Kennedy International Airport – $405.50
- Chicago Oâ€™Hare International Airport – $392.50
- Seattle Tacoma International Airport – $391.70
- Boston Logan International Airport – $386.60
- San Diegoâ€™s Lindberg International Airport – $372.80
- Miami International Airport -$371.80
- Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport – $366.60
- New Yorkâ€™s LaGuardia International Airport – $365.80
- Baltimore Washington International Airport – $353.30
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport – $342.20
- Denver International Airport – $326.10
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport – $281.10