Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) student journalists were honored for their work on student publications at the Journalism Education Association (JEA)-National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) fall convention held last weekend in San Antonio.
Best of Show
Publications recognized with NSPA Best of Show awards included:
- Montpelier, Madison High School, in Yearbook 275-324 pages. Savannah Bentley, Ally Grasso, and Kate Campbell, editors; Francesca Branson, adviser.
- Odyssey, Chantilly High School, in Yearbook 325 or more pages. Elizabeth Graviano, editor; Mary Kay Downes, adviser.
- Sentry, Robinson Secondary School, in Junior High Yearbook. Alex Paget and Corey Runkel, editors; Pat Hinman, adviser.
- tjTODAY, the student newspaper of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST), was named a NSPA Newspaper Pacemaker Winner in the Broadsheet 9-16 pages category.
- Earning Honorable Mentions were: in the Cartooning Award competition, Jessica Tang of McLean High School for her Editorial Cartoon that appeared in The Highlander and Marina Fondin of Oakton High School for her Comic Panel-Strip that appeared in Opus; and in the Design of the Year competition, Hannah Heile and Melanie Ta of McLean High School for their Yearbook Spread for The Clan; and Cathy Keiss and Na He Jeon of Langley High School for their Newspaper Spread for Saxon Scope.
- Chantilly High School English and journalism teacher Mary Kay Downes received the Medal of Merit Award for making significant contributions to scholastic journalism.
In the Write-Off competition, Superior ratings were earned by the following FCPS students:
- Rachel Biderman of Madison High School, Yearbook Cover-Endsheets;
- Tim White of Robinson Secondary School, Editorial Writing;
- Mallika Patkar of TJHSST, Editorial Writing; and
- Shayna Hume of TJHSST, Review Writing.
Excellent ratings were earned by the following students:
- Amirah Ahmad of Langley High School, Feature Writing;
- Na He Jeon of Langley High School, Computer Design: Infographics;
- Tahmina Achekzai of TJHSST, Newswriting; and
- Yena Seo of TJHSST, Sports Writing.
Honorable Mentions were awarded to Callie Chute of Madison High School, Yearbook Copy-Caption: Student Life;
- Aimee Cho of Langley High School, Newswriting;
- Cathy Keiss of Langley High School, Review Writing;
- Ian Criman of Robinson Secondary School, Sports Writing; and
- Jenny Chen of TJHSST, News Editing-Headline Writing.
Complete results are available here.