- An Udderly Good Time: Get a taste of 18th century life at Sully during Dairy Days! Try your hand at churning butter and cranking ice cream, plus play fun historic games. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are suggested. 1 to 4 p.m. Ice cream and butter made at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Sully Historic Site. $5/person. For information or reservations call 703-437-1794.
- 2012 Summer Entertainment Series: A summerlong calendar of shows, concerts and movies appropriate for you and your family. Performances range from children’s puppet shows to big band, jazz, bluegrass, rock, classical and world music. Events take place Wednesday through Sunday. Friday’s performances include the Tommy Lepson Band at Grist Mill Park, The United States Air Force Band’s Strolling Strings at Lake Accotink Park, the Will Gravatt Band at Mason District Park Amphitheater and the Hot Seats at Royal Lake Park. More information and performance details are available online.
- Lights, Camera, Action!: Showcasing films made by the community, the Clifton Film Fest (voted Best Film Festival by Virginia Living Magazine) features original films, including a collection of short films new this year, workshops for students and more. T-shirts and other goodies will be available for sale. The event also features live reggae from Jah Works, food and a cash bar. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Film at 8:30 p.m. Workhouse Arts Center. $10/person. For information call 703-584-2900.
- Watercolor Workshop – Dunes & Sea Grasses: Discover how to paint sand dunes and sea grasses with artist and teacher Carolyn GrossÃ© Gawarecki. A morning demonstration is followed by an afternoon painting workshop and critique. The class is geared to intermediate and experienced beginners. Bring a bag lunch. 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Green Spring Gardens . $75 /person. Register online. For information call 703-642-5173.
- Ice Cream Making: Hereâ€™s the scoop…July is National Ice Cream Month! Celebrate each Saturday in July by helping crank a batch of homemade ice cream and taste the cold, creamy results for $1.25 per cup. Noon to 3 p.m. Colvin Run Historic Site. Free. For information call 703-759-2771.
- Summer Concert – Janine Wilson Band: A big voice with a stage presence to match, Janine Wilson’s award-winning songs are full of love, heartache and mischief. Her command of vocal styles ranging from blues to Americana roots rock will leave audiences wanting more. Picnic suppers are welcome. No reservations required. 7 to 9 p.m. Potomac Overlook Regional Park. $5 suggested donation.
- Park Manager Walk and Talk: Join park manager Kevin Munroe on a walk and find out about the wetland restoration project and learn about the wildlife for which the park is known. Canceled if rain. 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Huntley Meadows Park. Free. For information call 703-768-2525.
- Say Cheese! Join an avid photographer and naturalist on a walk to photograph reptiles and amphibians at Nature Photography: Reptiles and Amphibians. Learn tips including camera angles. Bring a digital camera; wear hiking shoes. Participants 8 and above are welcome. 10 to 11 a.m. Ellanor C. Lawrence Park. $5/person. Register online. For information call 703-631-0013.
- Kayak Tour: Join volunteer trip leader Scott Stewart for an exciting adventure on the water of the Pohick Bay Marsh. Glide by kayak while enjoying views of bald eagles, great blue herons and other wildlife. No experience necessary. Appropriate for ages 8 and above. Participants under age 16 must be accompanied by an adult. 8 a.m. to noon. Pohick Bay Regional Park. $30/person. For information and reservations (required) call 703-339-6104.
- Salad Dressing – Make a Summer Splash: Learn how to top your salads with delicious homemade dressings you can make in a flash. Discover the secret to the perfect vinaigrette and be inspired to create your own signature dressings. Sample an assortment with fresh foods from the garden.1 to 3 p.m. Historic Green Spring. $27/person (includes an English tea program.) To register call 703-941-7987.
Information was correct at time of publication. Please contact individual event sites to confirm programs are being held as scheduled.