Elderly Man Dies In Dunn Loring-Area Fire

A 91-year-old Dunn Loring-area man died of injuries sustained in a kitchen fire last Thursday (May 24) evening — the county’s first fire fatality since September 2010.

Officials say Carroll Adams was cooking at a stove in his apartment at 1808 Old Meadow Road when his clothing caught fire causing thermal burns to his body.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units responding to the fire at approximately 9:40 p.m. encountered a light haze and a fire that had been extinguished by a passing neighbor in a second floor apartment.

The fire, which has been ruled accidental, caused an estimated $2,000 in damage.

Kitchen safety tips

Safety experts offer the following tips for keeping your kitchen safe:

  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
  • Wear short or tight fitting sleeves when cooking. Long loose sleeves are more likely to catch on fire or get caught on pot handles.
  • Keep things that can catch fire such as dish towels, curtains, or paper, at least three feet away from the stove.
  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • Turn pot handles inward, facing the wall to prevent burns caused by overturning or spills.
  • Pot holders or oven mitts prevent burns when handling hot dishes.
  • Regularly clean your cooking equipment so that there are no cooking materials, food items or grease accumulation.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool.
  • If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.

Comments