Child, Candle Cause Dranesville House Fire

Investigators say a child playing with a candle in an upstairs bedroom caused a house fire in the Dranesville area that caused an estimated $300,00 in damage yesterday (Thursday, April 26).

Fire and Rescue Department units responded to 809 Dranesville Road at approximately 6:10 PM and found heavy smoke and fire coming from a bedroom window on the second floor of the two-story home. Firefighters entered the front of the home attacking the fire on the second floor while other crews simultaneously searched for occupants.

Crews quickly brought the fire under control, keeping the fire confined to the second floor and from spreading to the attic and roof. There was no fire damage to the first floor; however, there was significant residual water and smoke damage throughout the home.

All of the occupants escaped unharmed. Two adults and three children have been displaced.

Comments