Candle Causes Herndon House Fire

An unattended candle in an upstairs bedroom is blamed for a fire that caused an estimated $135,000 damage to a home in the Herndon area yesterday (Sunday, December 18), according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials.

Units arriving at the single-family home at 13102 Anvil Place at approximately 6:05 a.m., encountered fire and smoke coming from the rear of the two-story dwelling. By conducting an aggressive attack, firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes.

Smoke alarms activated, allowing the occupants to escape the burning home. Three adult occupants and several pets have been displaced. One occupant received a non-life threatening injury and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Candle safety tips

Safety experts offer the following tips for handling candles:

  • Do not place candles near combustible materials.
  • Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
  • Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
  • Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
  • Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
  • Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
  • Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

Comments