Marshall Academyâ€™s DECA club will sponsor a number of activities in conjunction with Global Entrepreneurship Week, November 14-18, based on the theme Oh, the Places You Will Go!
- Monday, November 14: Marshall Academy and Marshall High School students are invited to find green eggs that scramble up great entrepreneurship facts. Prizes will be awarded to students who discover them.
- Tuesday, November 15: Students are invited to meet the Marshall DECA entrepreneurship mascot, Earl the Earthworm. Earl knows a great deal about entrepreneurship and will be available to teach all students about the topic and make them eligible for a prize. Students can follow Earl on Twitter @EarlLovesDECA for tips and hints throughout the week.
- Wednesday, November 16: Students are asked to help non-profit start-ups by donating new or slightly used children books to Books for America. Donations will be distributed throughout the metropolitan Washington area by this non-profit organization.
- Thursday, November 17: Local entrepreneur Sandra Pinetta — founder of Sweetbites, a mobile cafÃ© — will give a presentation at 9 a.m. Opened in May 2010, Sweetbites offers a variety of desserts and other baked goods around the Washington, D.C., area, and Tweets the location of its truck, which changes daily. Students will hear her story first-hand and have the opportunity to sample her products.
- Friday, November 18: A life-sized game of Monopoly, challenging students to use their small business owner skills, will be held during the Learn period in the schoolâ€™s auxiliary gym. Prizes will be awarded.
This is the third year that the Marshall entrepreneurship program has participated in Global Entrepreneurship Week. Te program has been recognized as a Global Entrepreneurship Week Distinguished Partner and earned first place in Virginia DECAâ€™s Entrepreneurship Promotion Project competition in 2010 and 2011.
The Marshall DECA plan for Global Entrepreneurship Week was developed by DECA members enrolled in Entrepreneurship II through Marshall Academy and is in conjunction and registered with a worldwide effort to promote entrepreneurship.