Monday, Oct. 17, at 4:30 p.m. is the deadline to register for the Nov. 8 election. If registering by mail, registration must be postmarked no later than Oct. 17.
- Verify Your Voter Registration and/or Absentee Ballot Application Status (State Board of Elections)
- Current Registration Statistics (State Board of Elections)
Am I eligible?
You are eligible to register to vote if you satisfy all of the requirements below:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age by the next general election
- A resident of Virginia
When can I register to vote?
You may register to vote year-round except during the 21 days prior to a General or Primary election, 13 days prior to a Special election, or 6 days prior to a Special election called by the Governor (Code of Virginia §§ 24.2-416).
How do I register to vote?
In person, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and Thursday, 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m.
Fairfax County Office of Elections
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 323
Fairfax, Virginia 22035-0081
703-324-4700 for 24-hour recorded information
By mail, pick up a Virginia Voter Registration Application at the following sites:
- Public libraries
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- Military recruitment offices
- Public assistance agency offices
- District Governmental Centers
- Board of Supervisors Offices
- Citizen Information Desk in the County Government Center lobby
- Judicial Center information desk
Mail the application to:
Fairfax County Office of Elections
12000 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035-0081
PLEASE NOTE: According to law, first-time voters in Virginia who register by mail* must vote in person (either on election day or absentee in person) unless they are:
- Overseas Citizens
- Citizens with a disability or illness
- Active duty members of the military or their dependents
* Must submit along with their application either (1) a copy of a current and valid photo identification, or (2) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the voter’s name and address. If the application is submitted without the accompanying ID, the citizen will be added to the voter rolls, but may be required to show elections officials either (1) or (2) above the first time they vote in a federal election.
Download the Virginia Voter Registration Application (link to the State Board of Elections). You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader program installed on your computer to view and print the application.
If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, click on the link below to go to the Adobe Systems download site. Download and install the program according to the instructions. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and is distributed by Adobe Systems.
If you need to download download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Please report change of name or address.
To remain a qualified registered voter, the law requires you to notify your local voter registration office of any change in your name or address. This must be done before the registration books close for the next election. You can submit your notice of change of name or address either by mail (12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 323, Fairfax, Virginia 22035-0081) or by fax (703-324-2205). In either case, the notice must include your signature to be valid. Notice cannot be made by telephone or by e-mail.
After your change is processed, you will be mailed a new Voter Information Card. If a new card does not arrive within a few weeks, please call us at 703-222-0776 to confirm that your notice was received.
The following information is required to register to vote:
Full legal name
Social security number
Complete address of any previous registration
Can I conduct a voter registration drive in my community?
You or your organization may conduct a voter registration drive at public locations within the community. We will be happy to advise you in planning a successful drive, training volunteers, and answering any questions you might have. We can assist you by providing voter registration application forms, display boxes, signs, and materials to advertise your drive. For more information, call our office at 703-222-0776.