On Saturday, Oct. 8, the Virginia Department of Transportation and its contractor Shirley Contracting Company, LLC, will re-open the Lorton Road bridge over Giles Run in southern Fairfax County just one month after the bridge was partially washed away by Tropical Storm Lee. The work is being completed a month ahead of schedule.
Lorton Road is the second of six roads and bridges to re-open to traffic this week. Hunter Mill Road re-opened earlier this week.
On Lorton Road, flood waters washed away the bridgeâ€™s wing walls and severely damaged the approaches to the bridge. Crews replaced the entire superstructure with steel beams and a timber deck topped with asphalt. New guardrail was installed today.
Four other roads remain closed to traffic and are slated to open as follows:
· Essex Road in Springfield – early November
· Towlston Road over Rocky Run in McLean – early November
· Beech Mill Road over Nichols Branch in Great Falls – mid-November
· Hillside Road in Springfield – Thanksgiving.
The following roads have remained open to traffic since the storm but require extensive repairs. Completion dates are:
· Carperâ€™s Farm Way – Oct. 6
· Walker Road – Oct. 6
· Tanager Street – Oct. 28
· Sunrise Valley Drive – Oct. 31
· Ridgely Drive – Oct. 31
· Millwood Drive – Nov. 4
· Falls Forest Place – Nov. 9
· Valley View Drive – Nov. 11