The Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) is honoring its fallen officers at a memorial service at 1:30 p.m. today at the Public Safety Rose Garden.
The six officers being remembered are:
- Second Lieutenant Frank Stecco who died during a water rescue training exercise in the waters of Pohick Bay on October 25, 2008;
- Detective Vicky Armel and MPO Michael Garbarino, killed when a gunman opened fire at the Sully District Station on May 8, 2006;
- Captain Tommy Bernal, killed when a vehicle struck his motorcycle during a training exercise June 28, 2001;
- Officer Karen Bassford, killed in an automobile crash while responding to a burglary call on July 27, 1977, and
- Special Officer Hendrick â€œSandyâ€ Gideonse, killed in a crash on December 3, 1998 while working.
FCPD Chief Colonel David M. Rohrer will be joined by members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and members of the Fairfax County Police Department.