Fire Sweeps Through Springfield House

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units were called to a house fire at 5911 Camberly Avenue in the Springfield area on Sunday, April 3, 2011, at approximately 12:30 p.m.

Firefighters saw smoke and fire coming from several sides and roof of the two-story home upon arrival and were able to bring the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes.

All nine occupants escaped the home prior to the arrival of firefighters and are being assisted by the Red Cross.  There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $80,000.

Investigators say the accidental fire was caused by an electrical problem.

Electrical safety tips

Fairfax Fire and Rescue offers the following safety advice:

  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI).  This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together.  An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.