A house fire Monday at 11800 Riders Lane in the Fox Mill area of Fairfax County caused damage estimated at $110,000, fire officials said.
They were able to contain the damage to primarily an upstairs bedroom, but there was additional smoke and water damage to the second floor area. The fire was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes. There were no injuries.
Fire investigators say improperly discarded smoking materials in a bedroom caused the fire.
Smoking materials tips
With that in mind, Fire and Rescue officials offer the following discarded smoking materials safety tips:
- Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away as they can smolder and cause a fire.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
- Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
- To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You wonâ€™t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.