Older adults and adults with disabilities
- Grocery shopping — shop for an older adult or accompany them to the grocery store. Commitment: two hours every other week.
- Household services — unpack boxes, change light bulbs, paint small areas, straighten cupboards or closets, organize paperwork, write letters. Commitment: varies.
- Meals on Wheels — transport meals to older adults or adults with disabilities Monday through Friday close to where you live or work. Meals are delivered between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. The program also needs treasurers, driver coordinators and group coordinators. Commitment: two hours one time a month and more.
- Nutritional supplement delivery — pick up and deliver nutritional supplements to an older adultâ€™s home. Deliveries are made early in the month. Commitment: a six-month commitment is requested. Two to three hours per month.
- Social visits — visit older adults who need company. Commitment: once or twice a week visits for one to two hours at a time. A one-year commitment is requested.
- Staff Vietnamese Bilingual Information Line — provide Vietnamese older adults information about county services. Monday-Friday between 10 a.m. â€“ 2 p.m. Training offered. Commitment: one-year, preferred.
- Transportation — drive older adults to and from medical appointments, pharmacy, bank, library, etc.
Community Ambassador Program
- Bilingual volunteers are needed to plan seminars and resource fairs that inform older adults of county services. There is a special need for volunteers who speak Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Laotian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese. Commitment time varies.
Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Fairfax Pets on Wheels — visit residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities with your pets. Provide companionship and compassion through pet therapy. Pet orientation and temperament testing is required. Commitment: one time weekly or monthly.
Additional volunteer positions with no current vacancies
- Regional manager assistant — help Volunteer Solutions recruit and train volunteers, track status of new volunteers, collect and enter volunteer hours. Work in one of four regional county offices. Commitment: volunteer determines time and schedule. A one-year commitment is encouraged.
- Office work/computer experience — assist Volunteer Solutions with special projects. Work includes copying, filing, phone work, and mailings. Commitment: a one-year commitment is preferred.
- Long-term care ombudsman â€“ visit a nursing home or assisted living facility resident and advocate for resident rights. Training is offered once a year. Commitment: a one-year commitment is required. Four hours during the day, one time weekly. Visit the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Web page or call 703-324-5861.
- Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program â€“ help older adults understand Medicare rules, Medigap policies, Medicare HMO plans and long-term care insurance. Help clients file medical insurance claim forms. A two-day training is held in April. Visit the Insurance Counseling Web page for more information. Commitment: varies.
To volunteer for any of the above positions, complete the online registration, call 703-324-5406, TTY 711 or e-mail DFSAAAvolunteer@fairfaxcounty.gov.