Weather permitting, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project is planning major work on the Capital Beltway Inner Loop (I-95/495 south) the weekend of June 1-3 in order to complete paving of the final THRU lanes between Route 1 and Telegraph Road.
The work will have significant traffic impacts, with backups expected well into Maryland. Motorists are strongly urged to consider alternate routes during the weekend to avoid significant delays.
Beginning at 11 p.m. on Thursday, May 31, the THRU lanes of the Capital Beltway Inner Loop (I-95/495 South) will be reduced to one lane between the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Telegraph Road for allow for roadway construction. A temporary second LOCAL lane will be opened between U.S. Route 1 and Telegraph Road to ease traffic volumes; this temporary lane will be in place through the weekend until Monday morning, and require reduced speeds. Motorists are encouraged to use the Inner Loop LOCAL lanes Friday during the day.
Beginning Friday night at 8 p.m., and through the weekend until 5 a.m. on Monday, June 4, all access to the Capital Beltway Inner Loop (I-95/495 South) THRU lanes from Maryland and from U.S. Route 1 in Virginia will be closed. The Inner Loop LOCAL exits to Pershing Avenue and Telegraph Road North will also be closed. Motorists on the LOCAL lanes traveling to the Eisenhower Valley should exit at the Eisenhower Connector and return on Eisenhower Avenue East.
Once reopened the morning of June 4, the two new Inner Loop THRU lanes will be complete and in their final configuration, and work will transition to paving the Inner Loop LOCAL lanes. Only one Inner Loop LOCAL lane will be open in this corridor from June 4 until paving is complete July 1, restricting LOCAL lane traffic. Also, during this interval, motorists on the Inner Loop THRU lanes will not be able to exit at the Eisenhower Connector; travelers headed to Eisenhower Avenue will need to exit at the Van Dorn interchange. On July 1, all Inner Loop work (THRU and LOCAL) between Rt. 1 and the Eisenhower Connector will be complete, and the roadway will be in its final configuration of two THRU lanes and two LOCAL lanes.
The Project will continue its ongoing work in the Telegraph Road interchange the week of May 6-12. Variable message signs will be posted to alert drivers and provide detour information when necessary. This work will have impacts on local traffic, and motorists are advised to seek alternate routes to avoid delays. Weather permitting, the scheduled work for the coming week includes:
Now through Monday, May 7 at 3 p.m.:
• N. Kings Highway will be reduced to one lane just before the intersection at Telegraph Road. The left lane will be closed, leaving only the right lane open to traffic. Approximately one block before the intersection, all lanes will reopen to traffic. Motorists should expect delays during the morning and afternoon rush hours during this time.
Monday, May 7 through Thursday, May 10 DAILY from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; and Friday, May 11 from 9 a.m. to noon:
• The ramp from Telegraph Road South to N. Kings Highway will be closed for roadway construction. Detour: Motorists should take the ramp to Huntington Avenue East to U.S. Route 1 South to N. Kings Highway.
Monday, May 7 through Thursday, May 10 DAILY from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Friday, May 11 DAYTIME from 9 a.m. to noon; and Friday, May 11 OVERNIGHT from 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday morning:
• The ramp from Telegraph Road South to the Capital Beltway Outer Loop (I-95/495 North) will be closed for roadway construction. Detour: Motorists should take the ramp to Huntington Avenue East to U.S. Route 1 North to the on-ramp to the Outer Loop.
Sunday, May 6 through Friday, May 11 NIGHTLY from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning:
• The ramp from Duke Street East to Telegraph Road South will be closed for bridge construction. Detour: Eastbound motorists should continue to U.S. Route 1 South to the Inner Loop to Telegraph Road South.
Monday, May 7 through Wednesday, May 16 DAILY from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
• The right lane of northbound Washington St. at the bridge over the Beltway will be closed to allow crews to reinstall handicap access ramps. Northbound motorists will be limited to one lane roughly between S. Alfred Street and Church Street.
Please use caution when traveling in this area. All construction-related work and dates are subject to change, depending on weather, material and contractor availability or other unforeseen conditions.
For More Information Go to www.wilsonbridge.com for the latest traffic and project information.