Accidental Fire Damages Fairfax Station-Area Home

A single-family home in the Fairfax Station area suffered an estimated $150,000 damage late last (Sunday) night.

Units of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department arrived at the single-family home, located at 10612 Hunting Shire Lane, at about 11:20 PM and encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the front of the split foyer home.

Logistical problem 

Because of the scarcity of fire hydrants, the Incident Commander called for a tanker task force bringing several tankers to the fire scene, allowing firefighters to bring the fire under control. A water shuttle was planned and in place; however, the additional tankers provided the needed water to knock down the fire. The fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes.

The fire, which investigators say was accidental, was caused by a computer plugged into a power strip cord.

Two adults and two children have been displaced. Smoke alarms activated allowing the family to escape without injury.

Electrical Safety Tips

  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI).  This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together.  An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.