Portions of Fairfax County continue were still receiving heavy rain late Thursday nightand roads are flooded throughout the county. The National Weather Service was predicting more significant rainfall amounts overnight.
The Morning Commute
Please plan on your normal route, but it may be disrupted by debris, damaged roads and other issues. Please allow extra time to travel. DO NOT drive through water on the roads. If possible, consider working from home.
- State law requires headlights to be on when windshield wipers are in use.
- Slow your speed for weather and road conditions – and be watchful for fallen trees, power lines, debris and other hazards that may get blown onto or fall across a roadway.
- Increase distances between vehicles.
- Buckle up and don’t drive distracted.
- Fairfax County Government offices will be open on Friday, Sept. 9, however employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
- Fairfax County Public Schools will be closed. School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed.
- The Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court had not made a decision on operating status late Thursday night.
View the public meetings calendar at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/calendar/ShowCalendar.aspx for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
- All Neighborhood and Community Services programs and events held at Fairfax County Public School locations are canceled.
- All Senior Services programs, activities and transportation are canceled.
- Community Centers, Senior Centers, and Teen Centers at non-FCPS locations will open as scheduled. For information regarding specific programs, events or locations, please call the facility directly before visiting or the main office at 703-324-4600, TTY 711.
- Fastran will transport critical medical care appointments only. For general information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, press 8, TTY 711.
- Tonight’s Neighborhood Enhancement Partnership Program Info Session in South County, Room 221C, 8350 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, is cancelled. Will be re-scheduled as soon as possible.
- All Fairfax County public school activities scheduled in schools or on school grounds for this afternoon and evening are canceled, including:
- Late buses
- Extracurricular activities
- Interscholastic contests
- Team practices
- Field trips
- Middle school after-school programs
- Professional learning and training courses
- All adult and community education classes
- Recreation programs and community use
- SACC centers remain open until 6:15 p.m.