Portions of Fairfax County continue were still receiving heavy rain late Thursday nightand roads are flooded throughout the county. The National Weather Service was predicting more significant rainfall amounts overnight.
The Morning Commute
Please plan on your normal route,Â but it may be disrupted by debris, damaged roadsÂ and other issues. Please allow extra time to travel.Â DO NOT drive through water on the roads. Â If possible, Â consider working from home.
- State law requires headlights to be on when windshield wipers are in use.
- Slow your speed for weather and road conditions â€“ and be watchful for fallen trees, power lines, debris and other hazards that may get blown onto or fall across a roadway.
- Increase distances between vehicles.
- Buckle up and donâ€™t drive distracted.
- Fairfax CountyÂ Government officesÂ will be open on Friday, Sept. 9, howeverÂ employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
- Fairfax CountyÂ Public SchoolsÂ will be closed.Â SchoolÂ AgeÂ ChildÂ CareÂ (SACC) centersÂ are closed.
- The Fairfax CountyÂ Circuit Court, General District CourtÂ andÂ Juvenile and Domestic Relations District CourtÂ had not made a decision on operating status late Thursday night.
View the public meetings calendarÂ atÂ www.fairfaxcounty.gov/calendar/ShowCalendar.aspxÂ for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
- AllÂ Neighborhood and Community ServicesÂ programs and events held at Fairfax County Public School locations are canceled.
- AllÂ Senior Services programs, activities and transportation are canceled.
- Community Centers, Senior Centers, and Teen CentersÂ at non-FCPS locations will open as scheduled. For information regarding specific programs, events or locations, please call the facility directly before visiting or the main office at 703-324-4600, TTY 711.
- FastranÂ will transport critical medical care appointments only. For general information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, press 8, TTY 711.
- Tonightâ€™sÂ Â Neighborhood Enhancement Partnership ProgramÂ Info Session in South County, Room 221C, 8350 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, Â is cancelled.Â Will be re-scheduledÂ as soon as possible.
- AllÂ Fairfax County public school activitiesÂ scheduled in schools or on school grounds for this afternoon and evening are canceled, including:
- Late buses
- Â Extracurricular activities
- Â Interscholastic contests
- Team practices
- Field trips
- Middle school after-school programs
- Professional learning and training courses
- Â All adult and community education classes
- Recreation programs and community use
- Â SACC centers remain open until 6:15 p.m.